Friday, January 13, 2012

Why do we dress little girls?

Why do we dress little girls? Well, it is the right thing to do.  When I heard there was a need for this, I was drawn to it.  It brings smiles to their faces, raises their self esteem and let's them know they are worthy and loved.  They feel the love of those that touched their new dress but also that of a love by Jesus.


I was listening to my bible reading today and a verse kept coming to my mind.  Do all things to glorify God.  1 Corinthians 10:31 (ESV)31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

I will admit-not everything I do is glorifying God.  I fall very short everyday.  But I am working on this.  This morning I started thinking that I want to make sure that my work with Dress a Girl is done to Glorify God.  So I did a little research on the subject of how Jesus felt about caring for children.  Here is what I found:

Children are a blessing and a gift from the Lord (Ps 127: 3)i. We are responsible to care for them and to bring them up to be God-fearing and loving (Deut 6: 4-9)ii; (Prov 22:6)iii.
 
Jesus cared deeply for children (Luke 18 vs 16)iv. At the time of baptism we commit to bringing children up within the Christian faith. We need to ensure that they do not stumble (Luke 17: 1-3)v3. 

Our love for them is an expression of God's love through us (John 4:19-21)vi. We need to teach
parents responsibility and care for them as a precious gift (Jas 3:1)vii.
 
Our care should be not only for our own children but also the children in our community. Jesus spoke strongly about caring for others in the parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). Children and others in need are those we are called to serve.

Well, in a nutshell, I think we are Glorifying God in our mission to Dress a Girl Around the World.  I will continue to work to do this everyday.  If you hear me doing otherwise, call me on it!  It will keep me on track!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment